- Hooper’s electric power division is pleased to partner with Xcel Energy to improve and expand power for the City of Minot, North Dakota. In a $49 million project approved by the North Dakota Public Service Commission, a new transmission line and power substation will be constructed to serve the needs of the expanding community.
- The existing electronic system will be upgraded through the construction of a 230 kV Magic City-McHenry transmission line and new substation to be constructed southeast of Minot.
- The existing system – a 115-kV line – was built more than 60 years ago. Working with Xcel Energy, Hooper will install a new double-circuit 230/115 kilovolt (kV) transmission line.
- Once completed, the new transmission line will span roughly 20-miles, connecting the existing McHenry Substation near Velva, ND, with the new Magic City Substation located near the waste water treatment facility in Minot.
- One unique aspect of this project has been the proximity of the power lines to an active eagle nest. During the construction, crews carefully erected a series of nine structures in the area immediately proximate to the eagle’s nest. Seasonal construction restrictions prohibit any project work in the eagle nesting area between Feb. 1 and June 30. Any structures that were not installed in that area by Feb. 1 will be held off until early July. The stringing of the conductor will commence this summer.
- In the North Prairie Township, the new route deviates from the existing 115 kV transmission line for approximately 4.2 miles and will be located in new right-of-way. In addition, approximately 1.2 miles of new 115 kV transmission line will be constructed along a new right-of-way to connect the new Magic City Substation to the existing electrical grid in the City of Minot.
https://www.hoopercorp.com/wp-content/uploads/2018/03/DSC_0043.jpg 1080 1626 webadmin https://www.hoopercorp.com/wp-content/uploads/2021/10/Hooper-logo-copy.png webadmin2018-03-20 12:06:082018-03-20 12:06:08Magic City-McHenry Transmission Line and Substation