Truck and Equipment Mechanic with CDL – Madison, WI
The Hooper Corporation, an electric power and mechanical contractor since 1913 seeks a full-time, heavy truck and diesel equipment mechanic to service, and maintain its diverse fleet. The ideal candidate will have completed an accredited diesel mechanic tech program, or have commensurate experience.
- Performs all fleet repairs and maintenance and works with outside repair shops when necessary.
- Ability to perform preventive maintenance services on trucks, trailers, and off-road equipment.
- Keeps up-to-date with current technology impacting the repair and maintenance field.
- Knowledge of hydraulic systems and electrical schematics.
- Ability to operate a variety of equipment including dozers, backhoes, skid steers, and cranes.
- Familiarity with FMCSA and DOT inspection requirements and regulations.
- Ability to operate basic shop tools including welders, cutting torches, and air tools.
- Completes detailed written repair orders accounting for labor, parts, and other costs.
- Maintains records, files and all related paperwork on all vehicles and trailers.
- Responsible for the repairs of construction tools and equipment. Oversees and assists in quarterly shop and tool inspections to comply with safety regulations.
- Performs additional duties as assigned by supervisor.
Knowledge, Skills and Abilities Required
- Minimum of a High School diploma or GED with at least four years hands-on experience in repair of vehicles, secondary education in the field of auto mechanics preferred.
- Ability to work collaboratively and get along well with others.
- Valid driver’s license with CDL required.
- Maintain DOT inspection certification.
- Basic personal computer skills and knowledge in Microsoft applications.
- Ability to prepare and maintain reports in an accurate manner.
- Good verbal and written communication skills required.
- Strong focus on safety and attendance.
Description of physical working environment
- Predominantly shop position, but some travel required in the Midwest. All tools and uniforms provided. Excellent union compensation and benefits package.
- Physically demanding position. Majority of work requires continuous standing and walking in shop. Requires lifting materials up to 75 pounds on a regular basis and frequent twisting, bending and turning.
- Ability to travel.
- Ability to work in various weather conditions indoors and outdoors.
- Ability to climb up and down ladders and steps in shop and on equipment is required.