Designer – Fire Protection Systems
Job Title: Designer – Fire Protection Systems
Division: Mechanical/Fire Protection
Status: Full Time
Reports to: Project Manager
Responsible for the layout and design of fire protection systems in accordance with all applicable government codes and per scope of assigned contract.
- Prepares layout and design of fire protection systems in accordance with applicable local, state, and national codes within the scope of the contract while meeting customer needs.
- Prepares hydraulic calculations that support complete design of appropriate Fire Protection systems.
- Performs field surveys when necessary to determine actual field conditions to ensure designed system will fit the given building structure.
- Prepares a complete and detailed material cut list for fabrication to ensure design specifications are met. Addresses all fabrication shop and field personnel questions to facilitate efficient shop and on-site production.
- Obtains plan approval from appropriate agencies, e.g. local fire department, relevant insurance company, State of Wisconsin, etc
- Prepare submittal packages to meet project specifications.
- Obtains shop drawing approval from architect, engineer, owner, etc.
- Coordinates design drawings and piping layouts with various trades on the project to ensure proper fit (HVAC, plumbing, electrical etc).
- Communicates with appropriate parties to resolve design issues, change orders, and approvals. Maintains organized records of assigned active projects.
- Assists with technical interpretation and writing of RFI’s as need arises.
- Represent Hooper Corporation in matters of project coordination and technical assistance as required.
- Performs additional assignments per project manager’s direction.
Knowledge, Skills and Abilities Required:
- Two year Associate degree in engineering, preferably in Fire Protection technology.
- Proficiency in latest computerized design applications, e.g. AutoCad software.
- Minimum two years experience in Fire Protection system design.
- Good analytical and problem solving, verbal and written communication skills and interpersonal skills to work effectively within team environment.
- Strong understanding of NFPA and other local and state code.
- Good design skills and maintains working knowledge of latest Fire Protection system technology.
- Valid Drivers License.
Scope Data (budget accountability, operating revenues, organizational unit responsibility, number of employees supervised, other pertinent numeric data):
- Works and interacts in team environment with 30-40 personnel.
- Designs approximately 10-20 jobs per year.
Description of physical working environment:
- Works in normal office environment and makes frequent client visits requiring driving personal vehicle. When in the office, regularly works from a sitting position with a computer. Repetitive typing and computer use required. Regular bending, twisting, and light lifting is common.
- Works on field construction site in all kinds of weather to survey site conditions and resolve coordination issues with the trades.
- Ability to climb up and down ladders and steps on site is required.