Regional Safety Specialist – Madison, WI and Commerce City, CO
Assists in planning, implementing and supervising all field project related safety programs and policies. Conducts accident and safety related field investigations, field training including comprehensive new-hire orientations relating to safe work practices. Qualified candidate will posses exceptional administrative and communication skills to support the procurement of the highest level of cultural safety awareness.
- Provide unwavering support to current management team for safety in our multiple locations; work to control and eliminate hazards of the working environment; support field crews in all aspects of safety, employee engagement in safety; and support the safety goals and objectives of the Company.
- Trains field personnel in OSHA and company policies and procedures.
- Conducts new employee orientation and safety related training programs for field employees.
- Participates with project management in pre-planning job site safety activities.
- Enforces Hooper Corporation safety policies to include advising on, and facilitating, issuance of employee disciplinary actions as warranted.
- Conducts and documents work area inspections to ensure compliance with safety and health programs; identify unsafe working conditions; initiates corrective action as warranted; completes detailed safety audit reports and distributes to appropriate parties.
- Maintains a working knowledge of the latest developments in construction industry safety field; develops safety training/education programs and implements those programs in a comprehensive and professional manner; documents all training and education programs per Hooper Corporation system requirements.
- As required, acts as OSHA liaison to outside parties, insurance representatives, etc. Coordinate and facilitate regulator (OSHA) inspections to include preparation of written appeals for safety violation citations.
- Investigates incidents and near misses and root causes of accidents. Compiles information for review, corrective action, and information dispersal to the field.
- Performs additional assignments as directed by the Electric Power Safety Manager.
Knowledge, Skills and Abilities Required:
- BS Degree in occupational safety/health or equivalent deemed appropriate by Hooper Corporation.
- 3-5years experience in Construction; Utility experience is a plus
- CPR/First Aid/AED Trainer
- OSHA 10/30 Construction Trainer and CUSP (Certified Utility Safety Professional) – Preferred
- Working knowledge and ability to enforce all federal, state, local and Company safety regulations. Knowledge of OSHA 1926.269 Subpart V Electrical Power Transmission & Distribution desired.
- Ability to recognize unsafe or hazardous working conditions and implement corrective measures as necessary.
- Strong interpersonal and group presentation skills required.
Description of physical working environment:
- Field construction site work and office environment; performs safety related tasks in all weather conditions.
- When in the office, regularly works from a sitting position with a computer. Repetitive typing and computer use required. Regular bending, twisting, and light lifting is common.
- Ability to climb up and down ladders and steps, work on uneven ground, muddy/slippery and icy conditions
- Drive short, medium, and long distances.
- Travel with some overnight stays required.
- Extended or non-standard hours as required.